Skip to Main Content    |    Adjust Text Size: Large Print or Standard Print   

Back to Guide Table of Contents   |   Back to DRS Home

Back To Chapter 6 Table of Contents

Chapter 6: Housing

Section 9: Home Repair and Access Modifications

Statewide Resources

Fire Safety Solutions for People with Disabilities

Oklahoma ABLE Tech
1514 W. Hall of Fame
Stillwater,OK  74078

888-885-5588 Toll Free V/TDD
405-744-9748 Voice
405-744-2487 Fax

Fire Safety Solutions for People with Disabilities," is designed to distribute and install free smoke alarms, as well as provide Fire Safety messages to Oklahomans with disabilities. Fire Protection Publications and Oklahoma ABLE Tech, both at Oklahoma State University, have created a partnership to provide specific fire safety messages to people who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind/low vision, or mobility impaired. This program will also serve as an important example to other states so they have a model to establish their own smoke alarm distribution program for people with disabilities.

Oklahoma Association of Community Action Agencies (OACAA)

605 Centennial Blvd
Edmond,OK   73013

405-949-1495 Voice
405-509-2712 Fax

OACAA provides its 18 Community Action Agency members and others with poverty-related information, education and technical assistance. The Association conducts public awareness programs on poverty and efforts of Community Action Agencies to assist economically disadvantaged persons.

Programs vary among community action agencies, but many offer these services:

Request a map and chart of services offered by each community action agency from OACAA.

Oklahoma Department of Human Services - Aging Services Division

Sequoyah Memorial Office Building
2400 N. Lincoln Blvd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73105

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 25352
Oklahoma City, OK   73125-0352

405-521-2281 Voice
405-521-2086 Fax


Services and resources aimed at supporting independence and protecting quality of life for older Oklahomans.

Oklahoma Department of Human Services - Developmental Disabilities Services Division (DDSD)

Sequoyah Memorial Office Building
2400 N. Lincoln Blvd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73105

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 25352
Oklahoma City,OK   73125-0352

405-521-6267 Voice
405-522-3037 Fax

This division provides services to persons ages 3 and older who have a primary diagnosis of developmental disabilities (mental retardation, an IQ of 70 or below). Persons served may also have other developmental or physical disabilities in addition to developmental disabilities (mental retardation).

Community Waiver includes a comprehensive array of services including residential, employment and habilitation services and supports. The Community Waiver provides services appropriate to the individual's needs. To apply call the area in which you live:

In-Home Supports Waivers (IHSW) allow individuals and families to select services necessary for each individual to remain in his or her own home or family home. Individuals on the IHSW are assigned to OKDHS Developmental Disabilities Services Division (DDSD) case managers to assist them in locating, securing, and coordinating needed services.

Eligible children, ages 3 through 17, may receive up to $12,360 of services per year through the IHSW-Children. Eligible adults, 18 years or older, may receive up to $18,540 of services per year through the IHSW-Adult. These waivers are not cash payment programs and all services are provided through agencies contracting with the Oklahoma Health Care Authority. Follow this link to DHS' Community Services webpage that details Community Waivers and IHSW,

Guardianship services are available for people receiving waiver services and for people who are residents of the Resource Centers (Northern Oklahoma Resource Center at Enid, the Southern Oklahoma Resource Center at Pauls Valley, or the Robert M. Greer Center). Services include assessment of the need for a guardian, assistance in locating a family member or volunteer to serve as guardian and vouchers for attorney's fees for the establishment of a guardian. Follow this link to DHS' webpage on guardinship,

Family Support Assistance payments - This is a cash payment program for families who are caring for children under age 18 at home. In this program, families can receive payments of $250-$400 per month depending on the number of children with disabilities in the home. Families who meet the income eligibility may choose this cash payment in lieu of the Medicaid Home and Community-Based Waiver (HCBW) Services. This program is funded through state dollars. Follow this link to DHS' webpage for the Family Support Assistance Payments,

Group Homes offer living arrangements for 6 to 12 people who share a home and receive up to 24 hours per day of supervision, support, and training in daily living skills. Group Home residents are 18 years of age or older and are provided community living services. Group Homes are single-family homes located in the community close to other services and activities. The home is owned or leased by a private agency. The agency receives reimbursement from OKDHS Developmental Disabilities Services Division (DDSD) for supervising and supporting the residents of the home. Follow this link to DHS' group home webpage,

Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services (DRS)

State Office
3535 N.W. 58th St., Ste. 500
Oklahoma City,OK  73112-4824

800-845-8476 Toll Free V/TTY
405-951-3400 Voice/TTY

DRS provides employment and independent living services to individuals with disabilities. Rehabilitation clients who need home access modifications to allow them to effectively pursue training and employment may be eligible for a home accessibility evaluation and limited home modification assistance.

Under certain conditions, home access modifications may be available for independent living purposes, so that an individual can continue to live at home and avoid having to go to a nursing home. DRS applies income criteria and other rules in determining eligibility. For information contact your vocational rehabilitation counselor or call 405-951-3400 or 800-845-8476 for the name and phone number of the counselor in your area.

Oklahoma Rural Development

100 USDA, Ste. 108
Stillwater, OK   74074

405-742-1000 Voice
405-742-1007 TTY
405-742-1005 Fax

U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development programs include a grant and loan program (Section 504) for very low income individuals and families who own homes in need of repair or accessibility modifications. Homeowners age 62 and over are eligible for home improvement grants. Other low income families and individuals receive loans at a one percent interest rate, with the option to pay a loan out over a 20-year period. Under this program, loans up to $20,000 and grants of up to $7,500 are available. Grant/loan combinations are possible if a person can repay part of the repair cost.


Section 9: Home Repair and Access Modifications

Listing by city.

OG&E Weatherization Program for Seniors


405-272-9741 OKC Voice
800-272-9741 Statewide


OG&E has announced a Free Home Weatherization Program for Seniors (65 and older) earning less than $35,000 annually (see Qualifications below). Some typical improvements include the following:

To find out about participating, contact OG&E Customer Service at 272-9741 (metro Oklahoma City area customers) or 1-800-272-9741 (all others).

Qualifying household income:

Southwest Oklahoma Community Action Group

900 S. Carver Rd.
Altus, OK 73521

Mailing Address
P.O. Drawer 1088
Altus, OK   73521

580-482-5040 Voice
580-482-5433 Fax

This group serves Greer County, Harmon County and Jackson County. Programs include:

Washita Valley Community Action Council

205 W. Chickasha Ave
Chickasha, OK 73023

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 747
Chickasha, OK   73023

405-224-5831 Voice
405-222-4303 Fax

This council serves Caddo County and Grady County. Programs include:

Community Action Resource and Development (CARD)

522 W. Will Rogers Blvd.
Claremore, OK   74018

918-341-5000 Voice
918-343-3663 Fax

This agency serves Nowata County, Mayes County, Rogers County, Washington County and Wagoner County. Programs include:

Big Five Community Services

1502 N. First St.
Durant,OK   74701

580-924-5331 Voice
580-920-2004 Fax

As a Community Action Program, Big Five Community Services, Inc. is involved in a wide variety of programs which are all in some way linked to the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) Program. Since the inception of CSBG, its mission has been to remove obstacles and solve problems which inhibit the ability of the state's low-income people to attain self-sufficiency.

Serves Bryan County, Carter County, Coal County, Love County and Pontotoc County. Programs include:

Community Development Support Association

2615 E. Randolph
Enid, OK   73701

580-242-6131 Voice
580-234-3554 Fax

This agency serves Garfield County and Grant County. Programs include:

Community Action Development Corporation

P.O. Box 989
Frederick, OK   73542

580-335-5588 Voice
580-335-3092 Fax


This agency serves Beckham County, Cotton County, Jefferson County, Kiowa County, Roger Mills County, Tillman County and Washita County. Programs include:

Little Dixie Community Action Agency, Inc.

209 N. 4th St.
Hugo, OK   74743

580-326-3351 Voice


This agency serves Choctaw County, McCurtain County and Pushmataha County. Programs include:

Northeast Oklahoma Community Action Agency

856 E. Melton Dr., Ste. C
Jay, OK 74346

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 603
Jay, OK   74346

918-253-4683 Voice
918-253-6059 Fax

This agency serves Delaware County and Ottawa County. Programs include:

Great Plains Improvement Foundation

2 S.E. Lee
Lawton, OK 73502

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 926
Lawton, OK   73502

580-353-2364 Voice
580-353-1952 Fax

This foundation serves Comanche County. Programs include:

Midwest City Grants Management Division

100 N. Midwest Blvd.
Midwest City, OK   73110

405-739-1216 Voice
405-739-1399 Fax
405-739-1286 TTY

Provides home repair assistance programs that serves low to moderate income homeowners in Midwest City by helping with no-interest loans, emergency repairs, and senior programs 62 plus. Operation Paintbrush, provides paint, materials, and some equipment, while homeowner supplies the labor.

Muskogee County Community Action Foundation

1313 N. Main St.
Muskogee, OK   74401

918-683-7637 Voice
918-683-8627 Fax


Call for information on services provided.

City of Norman

Housing Rehabilitation
201-A W. Gray
Norman, OK   73070

405-366-5432 Voice
405-366-5445 Fax

Deferred payment loans and emergency home repair loans. Income guidelines.

Community Action Agency of Oklahoma City and Oklahoma / Canadian Counties, Inc.

319 S.W. 25th St.
Oklahoma City,OK   73109

405-232-0199 Voice
405-232-9074 Fax

This agency serves Oklahoma County and Canadian County. Programs include:

Neighborhood Housing Services Of Oklahoma City

1320 Classen Drive, Ste. 200
Oklahoma City, OK   73103

405-231-4663 Voice

For low to moderate income families, this program assists with loans for home purchase, home repair loans, down payment and closing cost loans, home buyer education classes and financial counseling.

The City of Oklahoma City

Neighborhood Services Department
Housing Programs Division
420 W. Main, Ste. 1040
Oklahoma City, OK   73102

405-297-2846 Voice

Low interest loans for home repair and rehabilitation. For limited income homeowners in targeted areas of the City.

Deep Fork Community Action

223 W. 6th St.
Okmulgee, OK   74447

918-756-2826 Voice
918-756-6829 Fax

This agency serves Hughes County, McIntosh County, Okfuskee County and Okmulgee County. Programs include:

United Community Action Program

501 6th Street
Pawnee, OK   74058

918-762-2561 Voice
918-762-3418 Fax

This program serves Creek County, Kay County, Noble County, Osage County and Pawnee County. Programs include:

Central Oklahoma Community Action Agency

429 N. Union Ave. Shawnee, OK 74802

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 486
Shawnee, OK   74801

800-256-5960 Toll Free
405-275-6060 Voice
405-214-4326 Fax

This agency serves Cleveland County, Lincoln County, Logan County, Payne County, Pottawatomie County and Seminole County. Programs include:

KiBois Community Action Foundation

200 S.E. "A" St.
Stigler, OK 74462

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 727
Stigler, OK   74462

800-299-4479 Toll Free
918-967-3325 Voice
918-967-8660 Fax

This foundation serves Haskell County, Latimer County, LeFlore County and Pittsburg County. Programs include:

Inca Community Action Foundation

201 S. Capitol St., Ste. 2
Tishomingo, OK 73460

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 68
Tishomingo, OK   73460

580-371-2352 Voice
580-371-3085 Fax

This agency serves Atoka County, Johnson County, Marshall County and Murray County. Programs include:

Community Action Project of Tulsa County (CAP)

4606 S. Garnett Rd., Ste. 100
Tulsa, OK   74146

918-382-3200 Voice
918-382-3213 Fax

Community Action Project (CAP)'s mission is to help families in economic need achieve self-sufficiency. They provide a variety of services to the low-income community. Some of the programs focus on advancing the education and school readiness of very young children (ages 0-5). Some focus on improving the financial circumstances and economic independence of families with young children. Others focus on ensuring that these children and families live in safe, secure, nurturing communities.

Neighborhood Housing Services of Tulsa

1436 N. Cheyenne Ave.
Tulsa, OK   74106

918-582-3711 Voice


Housing programs, including first-time homebuyer assistance with closing and down payment costs, homebuyer education, and income and other eligibility criteria apply for some programs.

Tulsa Development Authority

1216 North Lansing Avenue, Ste, A
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74106
P.O. Box 480980
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74148
Tulsa, OK   74106

918.592.4944 Voice
918.592.4948 Fax

For low income home owners grants for emergency home repair or loans to $20,000.00 for home repairs, for income-eligible owners.

Opportunities, Inc.

117 W. Russworm
Watonga, OK 73772

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 569
Watonga, OK   73772

580-623-7283 Voice
580-623-7290 Fax

This agency serves Alfalfa County, Beaver County, Blaine County, Cimarron County, Custer County, Dewey County, Ellis County, Harper County, Kingfisher County, Major County, Texas County, Woods County and Woodward County. Programs and services include:


Back to Guide Table of Contents   |   Back to DRS Home

To correct, update or add resource listings notify:

Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services
Public Information Office  |  Dana Tallon  |  Oklahoma Disability Resource Guide Editor
Contact Information